Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Document Requirements for Birth Registration and PPT Application

(For a Child Born in Iran to U.S. Citizen Parent/Parents):

  • Original or certified copy/copies of U.S. birth certificate/naturalization certificate of parent/parents.
  • Original U.S. passport(s) of parent/parents
  • Original or certified copy of parents, marriage certificate. If they were married in Iran, an official English translation of the marriage record, certified by the ministry of Foreign Affairs, should be submitted along with the original Farsi copy
  • Original Iranian birth certificates of the child and both parents along with official English translations of the said papers which have been certified by the Iranian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
  • If a parent or both parents have had previous marriages, the original/certified copy(ies) of the divorce decree should be presented. Naturally if the divorce had taken place in Iran, official English translation(s) is/are required.
  • If only one parent is a U.S. citizen, in order to pass on his/her citizenship to the baby, the parent should prove that he/she has lived in the United States for a period or periods totaling not less than five years – at least two of which were after attaining the age of fourteen years. Documents such as college/university transcripts, employment confirmation, along with his/her Social Security Statement and confirmations from utility services could count towards proving his/her physical presence in the U.S. Please be advised that income tax returns or college/university degrees would not be acceptable.
  • Two identical passport pictures 5 X 5 cm, front view, full face with white background printed on non-glossy paper without any touch-ups of the child. If the child is no longer a baby, family photos are required showing the child from birth to the age he/she is right now.
  • Original valid Iranian passports of both parents; in case the minor child has been issued a separate Iranian passport his/her passport is also required;
  • Original Iranian National ID cards of both parents, together with their official English translation, which has been authenticated by the Iranian Ministry of Foreign Affairs
  • The child should be brought by both parents to the Swiss Embassy’s Foreign Interests Section. In the absence of one of the parents, a notarized form DS-3053 “Statement of Consent or Special Circumstances: Issuance of a Passport to a Minor under Age 16” completed by the absentee is required.
  • Confirmation letter from the hospital, where the mother has delivered the baby.
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) and passport fees (please refer to the link on applicable fees).
  • Authentication fees of English translations (please refer to the link on applicable fees).
  •  Applicants can submit the mentioned documents, by having a prior appointment only.

PLEASE NOTE that a U.S. Consular Officer at any U.S. Embassy/Consulate can request whatever documents he/she finds necessary in matters in connection with U.S. citizenship documentation. Therefore, you might be asked to present additional documents for adjudication of your case.