Top U.S. Study Websites
In addition to the EducationUSA Iran website, below are a few of the most essential Web sites for Iranian students and scholars considering U.S. study. See other sections of this site for additional useful links.
- CHEA (Council on Higher Education Accreditation). Database of all institutions accredited by CHEA or U.S. Department of Education-recognized accrediting bodies. Please note that not all fields of study require or even have professional accreditation—however, accreditation of the college or university as a whole by a CHEA or U.S. Department of Education recognized accreditor is essential for degree recognition!
- College Board. The site of the developer of the SAT standardized admissions test and CLEP examination for credit programs also includes an excellent search engine for finding undergraduate programs on its site.
- CollegeSource Online. Thousands of U.S. college and university catalogs, with ability to search by major, tuition cost, and other areas.
- Educational Testing Service. Developer and major source of information on standardized tests: TOEFL, GRE, and others.
- Edupass. Specifically for international students considering U.S. study, this site discusses admissions, financing, English language study, visas, cultural differences, U.S. life, and more. It also includes a list of the U.S. colleges that give the most funding to international undergraduates.
- Funding for U.S. Study. Excellent source for locating the hundreds of grants specifically for international students awarded by governments, foundations, and international organizations. Searchable by country/region or field of study. Institute of International Education.
- GMAT. The GMAT, is developed by the Graduate Management Admissions Council (GMAC), You can find test information as well as useful information about business studies in general by visiting their student site.
- GradSchools.com. Browse for program descriptions by field.
- GRE®. Most graduate applicants are required to submit results on the Graduate Record Examination general test and sometimes subject tests as well.
- IELTS. Another test that is also widely accepted by U.S. colleges and universities is theInternational English Language Testing System (IELTS). IELTS exams are generally offered through more than 500 locations in 130 countries.
- Intensive English USA. Database of English language training programs, searchable by institution and by type of program.
- Peterson’s. This educational publisher’s Web site allows searching not only for collegiate and graduate programs, but also for English language programs, summer opportunities, distance education, private secondary schools, and much more.
- SAT® Reasoning Test®. The SAT Reasoning Test may be required of undergraduate applicants.
- TOEFL®. If English is not your native language, you must submit a Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score.
- Web Sites for U.S. Embassies, Consulates, and Diplomatic Missions. This U.S. Department of State Web page provides links to sites U.S. visa application worldwide. The following consular posts have designated, Persian-speaking consular officers familiar with the Iranian educational system and documents: the United States Mission in Ankara, Turkey; and the U.S. Consulate in Dubai.